Friday, December 2, 2011

Weeding in freezing weather, making Christmas ornaments andand a parade


Happy Friday! From my front step to yours.

The past two mornings have seen me up and out the door before 9am. No reason prompts me, other than the fact I need to get more exercise and more fresh air. Once I return, I'm warmed up and primed for yard work. Of course, we only have a courtyard, but it still requires tending. And tend I did, pulling weeds with freezing fingers, caking slowly with mud and remnants of chilly dew. I didn't find any ice this morning, but my fingers could not have cared less. Cold is cold and even working could not assuage the numbness that was growing the longer I stooped over bare earth and weed.

Warm cinnamon roll later, my fingers thawed and I decided to share a few things with you. Last night, our town had their annual Christmas parade. As I am not the proud owner of a fancy digital camera which can take amazing pictures in next to no light (yet), I was unable to chronicle said parade in images. But I can tell you how excited I was when the reindeer arrived. Yes. Real reindeer. Pulling a sleigh. In Georgia. Sadly, there was no snow to cap off this perfect event, but plenty of candy was thrown to the little girl standing next to us. Her dad didn't catch all of it and what was left is now sitting atop our table. Taunting me. Back to the reindeer. Have you ever seen a real reindeer? They're precious. And small. Seriously. You're taller than they are. Their antlers are enormous, but the creatures themselves are tiny and practically demand you scratch under their chins. Of course they were pulling a sleigh in which sat Santa. And as much as I love that jolly old elf, I was enamored more with his tiny reindeer.

Yesterday, I played hooky from school and made Christmas ornaments out of magazine pages. To say I'm addicted to magazines is an understatement and my December editions were stacking up beyond control. I decided to weed through them, keeping only the British editions and those that gave me more lovelies to look at than ads. The rest got ripped apart, allowing me to keep the pictures I wanted and recycle the rest. Hmm, now what to do with all that lovely? I could frame them, but I didn't have any spare picture frames. What I DID have was cardboard, glue and glitter. Out came the scissors. I cut them out, trimmed them down and then glued them to cardboard. Once dried, I trimmed the cardboard so that only the now stiff picture remained. Then came the fun part of outlining the pictures and some of the elements in the pictures with silver glitter glue. All that remains is to punch holes in the top, thread some ribbon or twine through them and hang them! Once that's done, I'll post a picture, but for now, here's a sampling:




Next time you have too many magazines, see if you can turn some of those lovely pictures into ornaments. And this doesn't have to be limited to Christmas! Any issue, any month or season can be turned into decor. Who says you need a Christmas tree to hang ornaments on?

With one final image, I'll sign off for now. Have a wonderful Friday and remember: slow down and savor life. You only go around once!



Jen xo

3 comments:

Annette said...

A very Victorian Christmas. =) What a great idea (the magazines).

Jen Chandler said...

Thanks Annette! I've really enjoyed making ornaments this year.
Hope all is well!!
~Jen

Jon said...

Yay! I really like all the ornaments you've made for The Mannor. :)