Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Magpie Tales - The Elephant in the Corner


"Welcome to my garden," said the spider to the fly.

"Is that a-"

"No it isn't. Kindly follow me."

I followed, craning, watching, wondering at what I saw. I was certain, convinced an elephant was in the corner.

"Over here you'll see my latest, a pristine example of capital form and function."

"Yes," I scarcely heard her, "but I swear I saw a-"

"You didn't. That's unheard of. Pay attention and keep quiet."

The crowd around me tut-tutted, clacking tongues and lashing eyes. I found my way at the back, looking bored at picture perfect, well groomed and manicured. I'm tired, said my brain, this is maddeningly mundane. Black and white, black and white; all the same, all the same.
"Hush," I whispered, or so I thought. She glared at me, black widow, a hint of red at her throat.

"What was that you said?"
"Nothing."

Liar.

"Would you be quiet!"

"I beg your pardon?"

The brooch came undone, fell to the floor. Out splayed her spider legs and she lunged for me. The other watched without concern as she wrapped me in her web. I was hug upside down, in a corner off to the right.

"That will teach you to go against." She hissed, re-pinned her collar and the crowd walked on.

The pachyderm smiled and lowed me, his kindly trunk outstretched. He took my hand and together we walked around the bend. There was color there.

I wrote this for Willow's Magpie Tales. It's a bit different, don't you think? Wander on by and check out the other amazing stories she has collected.

Cheerio,
Jen

9 comments:

Brian Miller said...

fanciful tale...i like the last sentence much. there was color there...simple yet adds so much...

rel said...

Jen,
Tittilates my imagination with chills and smiles.

Vicki Lane said...

Intriguing! I like the switch from blac and white to color!

joanny said...

A whimsical tale woven as well as the spider's web.-- filled with the dark and light
Loved it.

also loved your quote you posted the other day by ~ Ashley Smith clipped it to post on my refrig. Oh yes tea, a good book a lovely fire and good friends sharing stories -- I belong to a ladies book reading group -- so fitting.

Joanny

C.M. Jackson said...

I like your style! great tale!

rob said...

Your work is bold your spirit is awesome, and you are courageous and free -- come visit me…

…rob
http://image-verse.com = Image & Verse

Jen Chandler said...

Thanks for your warm comments :) I really enjoyed writing this one. It just kind of spilled out of me and I had no choice but to sop up the words and arrange them.

Jen

The Muse said...

A delight to wander here...
As I climb the Magpie Mr Linky...

Your work evokes emotions, dark and deep. And still allows that ray of light to vanquish the foe...engaging work!

Sandra said...

I like it. A lot.