Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Promised Pictures

I promised pictures and, behold, I doth deliver! We weren't able to take a lot, but the ones we got were enough to remember the day. It's been cold and grey in Georgia and the day we chose to go hiking was freezing, wet, and *gasp* snowy! So the snow drifted lazily and stuck only momentarily on the leaves of the rhododendrons, but it was snow, dear friends. These pictures were taken on the Bear Creek Trail outside of Ellijay, Georgia. Trust me when I say it's hard to find but worth the hunt!

I'm a sucker for moss covered trees! The flash hit the snow flakes and turned them into fairy lights. Or maybe the flash wasn't turned on and those really are fairy lights?


This is just one of the creeks we had to cross. Three of them were just trickles but two were pretty wild and about a foot or so deep. We had to tip toe over the rocks and still got wet! Brrrr!

Two thumbs up from a member of the peanut gallery :)


This is Lord Beard and me in front of the Gennett Poplar.
We had read it was the largest tree in Georgia.
Okay, a big tree. No seriously: this was a BIG tree!

After this shot, our friends joined us. We were able to stretch ourselves around it.
All four of us made a ring around this tree and it took some doing to clasp hands.


Like I said. A big tree. Sure, if you live in Norther California, this isn't so magnificent. But to us, it was HUGE! Those two little spots at the foot are myself and Lord Beard.


Anyone else have any adventures lately?
I believe these were our first of late that did NOT include the Guthries!
(Thank heavens...)

9 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

I like this. I feel like I'm in another world here.

And, yes, from your other blog - Write on!

roxy said...

Sorry to comment again, but I love this blog, too!

Mmm said...

I didn't realise they had such big trees down there. Reminds me of the CA redwoods.

BTW, Jen, I asked Willow to fix your link on her new magpie tales site as it's not working.

Great pics too, of course. Love that cup for the masthead alone!

Sandra said...

Well, yes, since you asked...my latest adventure was going down to the barn to feed horses, sheep and barn cats this morning. Snow drifts were knee deep but are now up to my waist and will prove ever so interesting when I have to feed tomorrow morning.
Your adventure looks far warmer! -smile-

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i agree with mr. toast,it reminds me of the large redwoods here in california..

i love those huge trees too...

enjoyed visiting here....

wonderful, jen

kary
xxx

Stefany said...

LOVE everything about your blog!!! From your keep calm and carry on sign to your header picture!

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

This is great! I'm so glad you got to go hiking!

Jon said...

This was a fun trip. We must have more adventures soon, my dear. :)

Jen Chandler said...

Thank you, thank you everyone! you are all such dears :)