Monday, January 18, 2010

This Business of Bliss

What is bliss? I suppose it could be defined many ways. For me, bliss is doing what's in my heart of hearts, spending my days creating, be it weaving words or paper or metal. Bliss is defined by what makes you happiest, what brings joy to your heart and your soul.

What makes your life shine?

Is it knitting scarves, woolly socks and hats? Is it molding clay into a vessel or platter? Is it stitching a books binding with bees waxed thread? Is it shaping hot iron into a work of art?

At the Manor, the goal is to spend all my days working on this business of bliss. That's the plan. For now, I take what little morsels I can get and relish them with fork and knife, on fine china, linen napkin in my lap. In my chipped blue goblet are droplets of wine, ruby red and sweet from the fruits of my labors. It's not much, but I feel a queen sitting down to feast.

For the brief two weeks' life of this new decade I've been keeping a journal. I write in it on Sunday evenings, summing up what I've learned or discovered the week prior. There are only two entries but in those entries I find a lot. Unripened fruits waiting to be plucked. I see I have a lot of work to do and precious little time. I see I have to conquer my self (self doubt, self deprecation, self pity). If ever I am to make the Manor my permanent home, I must refuse to be defeated by the mundane of the everyday.

Easy? Of course not. Why, if it were easy everyone would be doing it. What brings you bliss? What do you need to conquer in order to take up residence in your own castle (or manor) in the clouds?

The dawn of a new year seems perfect for doing so, don't you think? Yes, dear friends, so do I.

Happy Monday,
The Lady

11 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Hi Jen....a new blog for you...lovely..I loved the entry about bliss....me too...i look for it everyday...and i seem to find it in food!

Anything beautiful that is in season...it always makes me HAPPY...

I love your kitty's name..Colby..how cute !

Five kittys over here too...I LOVE cats..now there is something else that gives me BLISS...

more later, dear friend

kary
xxx

Duchess of Tea said...

The Duchess of Tea has bestowed a title upon you. Her Grace requests the honour of your presence at the knighting ceremony to be held at Rose Tea Cottage.

The Duchess will be honoured if you accept the award she is presenting you by copy and pasting it on your blog.

cityfarmer said...

I love the thought of a brand new year ... it's flying by already ...
will keep you updated with the grandbaby news

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

Goodness, what is my problem? Have I not been here before and WHY? Lovely creative writings my Lady!

Chaotic Beauty said...

Keeping a journal for specific blissful moments, what a lovely idea! I enjoy my time here at Sagewood Manor!

Jen Chandler said...

Kary, I'm sorry I haven't wandered over as often as I want to!! I'm spreading my time thin but getting round to your beautiful blog as I can. Thank you so much for stopping by!

Duchess, I shall pop over as soon as I finish posting here. I'm excited!

Hi cityfarmer! Hope all is well and keeping the new grandbaby in our prayers.

Parisienne Farmgirl, I'm so GLAD you stopped by! Thank you so much. It's always wonderful to see you :) I'm praying that baby comes along soon for you!! I know you're beyond ready!

Chaotic Beauty, I'm so glad you are enjoying your time here. It's a joy for me as well!

Sandra said...

Bliss for me is living my life, the studio, our home, the farm, the animals, the location and Dave, whom God allows to make it all possible.
Success is living a life well lived, sounds like a double double but it's not. We all live lives but for the most fortunate, our lives are well lived.
I'm busy making goals and working on my 2010 calendar, can you tell? -smile-

deb said...

My life now is bliss. I can only show gratitude by making each day worth something. Worth the price that was paid for it. Worth my children looking back and knowing it was real and good.

Good post, Jen. Thanks as always for your visits. The more great sites I discover, the more I see you there, and of course I am never surprised.

Baino said...

Hmm bliss? Saturday afternoon when all the chores are done and everything's warm and breezy and quiet apart from the birds. Love it. I don't keep a journal. I guess my photos and blog are a journal of sorts.

Jen Chandler said...

Than you for sharing your bliss, my friends. It's conjured up lovely visions for me on this rather bland office day :)

Anastasia said...

I named my daughter Bliss. my girls are my bliss ;)