Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Reflections by Fireside


The tendinous part of the mind, so to speak, is more developed in winter; the fleshy, in the summer. I should say winter had given the bone and sinew to literature, summer the tissues and the blood. ~ John Burroughs
I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show. ~Andrew Wyeth
When the bold branches
Bid farewell to rainbow leaves-
Welcome wool sweaters.
~ B. Cybrill
Winter dies into the spring, to be born again in the autumn. ~ Marche Blumbenberg
Winter came down to our home one night
Quietly pirouetting in on silvery-toed slippers of snow
And we, we were children once again.
~ Bill Morgan, Jr.
***
January
peace and silence under a blanket of snow
wind whistling through branches bare
the whispers of twilight under a plump, full moon
the curls of tea-steam rising ghost-like in the air
***
To wool sweaters and pots of Earl Grey
To fresh baked bread and pails of chili
To greeting warm friends, both old and new
To dreams of gardens, of summer time, of spring
***
Shiver, quiver, like a branch on the trees
March we up and down through snow and sleet
Stamping boots and mittened hands
Searching the cobblestones for the feeling in our feet
Mmmm, come winter,
I am reborn...
Cordially,
The Lady of the Manor

4 comments:

Terresa said...

Fantastic quotes, especially your last line, "I am reborn."

It speaks of the new year, possibility and this, your lovely new blog perfectly.

Baino said...

I'd love a cold winter and an open fire, a heavyweight coat and fur lined boots. Instead, I'm up at 4:30am unable to sleep because of the humidity!

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Ooh, I want some of that chili! :0)

Love this!

Jen Chandler said...

Thanks, Terresa. The cold makes me feel so much more alive and ambitious!

Baino: I'm still trying to wrap my head around a hot and humid Christmas and New Year's! But fear not; by the time July rolls around, we'll be dreaming of snow and crisp breezes!

Kristen, I'll have to have you over sometime for some chili!